We’re looking for: Comics, visual art, and written work of all kinds, based around a theme voted upon by our editors. Our contributors come from all over the world and represent a broad spectrum of talents and interests.
- Length: 1-3 pages preferred, 6 pages maximum.
- Dimensions: 5” x 8” (or a 2-page spread of 10” x 8”)
- Text: We prefer writers to format their own submissions. The ideal file types for text submissions are PDF, PSD or AI. Handwritten submissions are encouraged!
- Images: All image submissions (including comics & illustrations) must be at least 300 dpi. Acceptable file types include JPG, PSD and PDF.
- Color: We have only 4 slots for color images per issue – the front cover, back cover, and both inside covers. If your color submission is accepted but does not make it onto one of the cover pages, the image may be printed in black-and-white.
- Info: Please include the following information with EVERY submission, even if you have submitted multiple times.
-Your Name (as you would like it printed)
-Title of Submission
-Your Website (if you have one)
-Your Mailing Address (if you live outside Portland, OR)
- Deadlines: Submissions must be received by the 23rd of the month to guarantee consideration. That said, we do look at late submissions and sometimes include them if we have extra pages to fill.
Got all that? Great! Email your submission to: email@example.com
So I submitted, what now?
- Confirmation: You should receive an email within several days confirming that we received your submission.
- Voting: All the editors vote on submissions, a process which takes some time. Please be patient and we will notify you via email when we have reached a decision.
- Critique: Fostering critical dialogue among artists and writers is part of our mission. Whether or not your submission is accepted, we often take the time to provide contributors with individual feedback. If you do not wish to receive a constructive critique via email, please let us know.
- Contributor Copies: If your submission is accepted, you will receive one free copy of the zine. You may pick up your copy at the release party for the issue. If you live outside Portland, we can mail your copy to the address provided.
- Party: We throw a release party for every issue at a local business. The date, time and location for each party will be announced at least one week in advance. These events are an integral part of the Stumptown Underground experience, and everyone is encouraged to attend!